Saturday, July 12, 2008

Camping Shmamping

Well, call me a regular old stick in the mud, but I say, "Camping shmamping." We took the kids to Mueller State Park Thursday night for a campout. It is a beautiful park and I would love to spend more time there, BUT next time around, I am up for one of their beautiful cabins. We decided to go last minute, so we had to take our trusty pooch, Cooper, along. Let's just say he isn't exactly the bravest of beasts. He spent much of the night shaking and growling under his breath at the footsteps and noises we heard out and about the campsite. He ended up in my sleeping bag, under my arm, and finally settled down after a few hours of yips and grrrs. We'll call this mistake #1. We decided not to bring the pack and play along for Ellie as well. I mean, it is camping, right? You don't take a crib. Do you? Mistake #2. She wanted nothing to do with going to sleep, but was rolling all over the tent playing around. Milan finally got her to sleep, but then she kept being awakened by Cooper's outbursts. So, she ended up in my sleeping bag under the other arm. Let's just say I didn't get the best night of sleep that I have ever had. The following morning was crisp and beautiful (through my blurred vision) and would have possibly erased the memories of the restless night before, had I not failed to pack any coffee...mistake #3. If you know me very well, you know that the lack of coffee alone can be dangerous for me- and those around me for that matter. So, let's just say that not all of us are meant to be campers; at least, not with children in tow. While I love to spend time with my family, I feel it is safe to say that it will be a while before I venture out for another night of bliss under the stars.

1 comment:

Jeff and Amy said...

Sounds like what my feeling would have been, I agree cabins would be the only way to go, not much for sleeping on the ground. Hope at least your weather was good :)