Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Newsflash from the Cave

Okay, I know I have been in a bit of a cave lately. No, I haven't moved to Afghanistan, been abducted by aliens or joined up with any bizarro cult. Life has been a bit of a roller coaster. So, let me give you the reader's digest version.
The fall and early winter have been very difficult for our family. Without needing to bore you with the details, my husband has decided to resign from his position as pastor of our church here. It has been a difficult and painful decision, but we believe it is what is best for our family (and believe it or not, for the church). So.... what that means, unfortunately, is that we will be looking for a new call (that's what they call it when a pastor gets a job at a new church), and will be selling the house, and moving who knows where. Now that I am over the initial bummed out stage, the reality of all that needs to be done has set in. We have a great house, but this market can be scary. So, we are doing every last little thing possible to get the house in tip top shape and staged to sell. I actually enjoy some of this type of work, but it is hard to get done with three kids- two of which I am homeschooling. Once my hubby is all finished up with what needs to be finished up with church and sorting through his office- hopefully this week- he can help with school and the tasks at hand.
While all of this is sprinkled with a healthy dose of sadness, I am looking forward to my husband having some time to de-stress and to having an unprecedented number of consecutive Sundays where he will be sitting with us in church rather than standing up in front of us. I am relishing in the fact that I will have him there to worship with and to help in training our children in the pews. This is not an easy task. If your pastor's wife has small children, do her a favor and watch for ways to help her out. Trust me, it is greatly appreciated.
As for where we will move, who knows? Almost surely not here in Colorado as there are not many open positions here in our denomination. There certainly is a job out there for him.
We will be looking very carefully at the "fit" in deciding where it will be best to apply and pursue. This process is not known for being a quick one. We know it will take time, and don't know how all of the timing will work out with selling the house. BUT, it will work out. We are trying to approach it as an adventure. Thankfully, homeschooling will make the process and transition to our next home fairly seamless. While it hasn't been easy, I am glad we won't be juggling the stress of questioning where we will be finishing the school year. That question won't need to be addressed at all until fall when we determining what to do for the 09-10 school year.
So, for those of you who have been asking, emailing, or otherwise haranguing me about why I haven't been blogging, now you have a better idea. I will try to be better about it. The fog is lifting and hopefully, in a week or two, I will actually have some more time on my hands.

2 comments:

Christy said...

Wow!! That is huge and a lot to swallow at this point. I will keep you guys in our prayers and pray The Lord leads your family where He wants you to go. This is so brave of you guys and requires ample trust that He has it under control. Keep us informed and you will be in our prayers.

Christy :)

Stefany Gess said...

You are always in our prayers. We love you dearly!