Wednesday, May 14, 2008

First Steps

Ellie took her first steps yesterday... May 13. I was sitting with the boys doing Legos when she turned away from holding the couch and took two steps to Noah. We looked at each other in disbelief and then we all started screaming. Ellie was so excited that she took several more trips back and forth before tiring out. She still doesn't protect herself when she starts to fall, she just face plants. So, we have a long way to go, but it was a pretty big deal seeing her take those steps here at almost 20 months old. First Steps
We will begin working with a second physical therapist in the next month or so that will be focusing on her walking and progressing her through to running and manipulating different kids of terrain. This therapist will actually be coming to our home for therapy so that will be great for me! We will continue to see the original therapist at Children's Hospital as we try to get Ellie's foot position corrected. My biggest prayer on that subject right now is that we don't have to get the more advanced orthotics for Ellie... big bucks. She is definitely getting stronger, but those flat feet of hers need to arch up and line up correctly. We will continue with the current orthotics and doing her little exercises at home over the next few weeks to see what happens.
We continue to work through Ellie's attachment issues. Here we are about a month into our new plan. We have a long way to go, but I do feel like I have seen a few unexpected and pleasant moments of improvement. In the past week or so, she has been much more relaxed about crawling over to her daddy to give him a requested kiss or hug. She actually has done it with a giggle or a smile at least 3 or 4 times. Of course, she turns right back around to me, but perhaps the fact that she knows she will be able to come back to me is relaxing her in the thought of moving away from me. That aspect of the therapy seems to be showing some small results already. Others at church have also noticed a change in her with me... she is more snuggly with me or she seems more relaxed with me than before. I hope that is true and not just wishful thinking. The sooner she is secure in my permanence, the better for everyone. I will continue to update the blog on this issue as we see more prominent improvement, but as I have been starting to get the "How's it working?" questions, I thought I had better give the latest. Thanks for asking and for your continued prayers.
Sounds like nap-time is over....

1 comment:

Stefany Gess said...

Yeah!!! for first steps and progress. You guys are awesome parents!! I am so glad to hear of some progress in the attachment area.